Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Per Diem For Company Drivers, How to claim Per Diem
damuffinman1
post Mar 15 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2360

I am a paid hourly as a company driver, with an average of 3 overnights a week. I get an extra $1.75 an hour as Per Diem in a seperate check under my expenses. This includes road expenses that is reimbursed weekly. My question is can I claim a Per Diem each night, also how much would it be on my state and federal taxes? And what proof do I need that I spent the night on the road? Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Mar 18 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

You can deduct the difference between the standard daily allowance and whatever you get paid as PerDiem. I haven't looked up what the current standard allowance is but it's available on the IRS web site.

Your log book is your proof of days out. There are several other posts on this topic, search the forum for Per Diem and PerDiem and you should find answers to any questions you have on this topic.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper
Don't forget to get the latest Online Update

+Quote Post
earlybird18
post Jan 15 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4359

QUOTE (John Ewing @ Mar 18 2008, 11:35 AM) *
You can deduct the difference between the standard daily allowance and whatever you get paid as PerDiem. I haven't looked up what the current standard allowance is but it's available on the IRS web site.

Your log book is your proof of days out. There are several other posts on this topic, search the forum for Per Diem and PerDiem and you should find answers to any questions you have on this topic.

+Quote Post
earlybird18
post Jan 15 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4359

I am also a company driver and i get 32 a day per deim i should be able to deduct the 27.00 diffrence.Mycompany runs eletronic logs what do i need to get from them as proof of my overnites.

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Jan 15 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Unless you get audited you won't have any need to "prove" your deduction, but if your Per Diem is based on a daily rate I would think that your pay stubs would document how many days you were out in each pay period. For an audit you just need to be able to show the IRS verification of your numbers and if you don't keep a log book then I would imagine your pay stubs would be the next best thing. Check a pay stub and see if it doesn't show the "days out" where it shows the Per Diem.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper
Don't forget to get the latest Online Update

+Quote Post
texastaxpro
post Mar 5 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4994

QUOTE (John Ewing @ Jan 15 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Unless you get audited you won't have any need to "prove" your deduction, but if your Per Diem is based on a daily rate I would think that your pay stubs would document how many days you were out in each pay period. For an audit you just need to be able to show the IRS verification of your numbers and if you don't keep a log book then I would imagine your pay stubs would be the next best thing. Check a pay stub and see if it doesn't show the "days out" where it shows the Per Diem.

Most companies only keep copies of electronic logs for 6 months. If you were to be audited, you would need your logs to substantiate your trips away from home, and could not rely only on your pay stubs. Every e-log system should have a way to access your logs over the internet and download them. It is a "best practice" to download your logs every month and save them in case you are audited. The IRS generally will only accept a logbook as proof of days spent over the road. and absent that proof, will disallow the deduction and require repayment of the deduction with interest. Given the 3 year audit window, that could be a substantial tax hit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-->