Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Stop Log Requirements
Emily
post Jul 11 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1454

I am the safety auditor for a small company and have only been involved with trucking for about 13 months, so please forgive my ignorance. But....

What are the requirements for logging a fuel stop?
I have heard several different ideas (i.e. fuel stops only need to be flagged; fuel stops do not need to be logged if you fuel under 100.00 gal)
I have searched and searched the FMCSA site and cannot find anything specific.
So is there a "minimum" gallon amount for logging on-duty not driving?
Because fuel pumps run so quickly these days, a lot of my drivers have told me it doesn't take them 15 minutes to re-fuel. Therefore, does the fuel stop, regardless of the amount of gallons, just need to be flagged?
My gut tells me no matter how much fuel you get, it is a change in what the driver is doing, and therefore needs a tick mark for on-duty not driving. However, if there are no specific instructions I need some guidance.

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Jul 11 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

You can find guidance at -
FMCSA

Here's a quote from that page -
Question 23: When the driver's duty status changes, do ?395.8? or 395.8(h)(5) require a description of on-duty not driving activities ("fueling," "pre-trip," "loading," "unloading,", etc.) in the remarks section in addition to the name of the nearest city, town or village followed by the State abbreviation?

Guidance: No. Many motor carriers require drivers to identify work performed during a change of duty status. Part 395 neither requires nor prohibits this practice.
It also notes the following regarding short periods fo Off-Duty or On Duty Not Driving -
Question 1: How should a change of duty status for a short period of time be shown on the driver's record of duty status?

Guidance: Short periods of time (less than 15 minutes) may be identified by drawing a line from the appropriate on-duty (not driving) or driving line to the remarks section and entering the amount of time, such as "6 minutes," and the geographic location of the duty status change.

That said, common sense comes into play here and common sense would tell you that even with the fuel lanes open and no line at the counter it will take you 15 minutes to get out, get the pump turned on, fuel and then walk in to get your receipt. Most auditors will write you up if 15 minutes on duty not driving are not logged to conincide with the time on fuel receipts.

Many companies simply require drivers to log 15 minutes On Duty Not Driving for fuel stops and you will certainly not get docked by an auditor for having it logged that way.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper
Don't forget to get the latest Online Update

+Quote Post
Emily
post Jul 11 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1454

WOW! What a quick reply! You gave me exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you so much!
Emily

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Jul 11 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

that's my job wink.gif

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post them here. I can't guarantee that you'll alwasy get an answer within a few minutes - but you'll always get one within a few hours.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper
Don't forget to get the latest Online Update

+Quote Post
Don Jones
post Jul 13 2006, 01:43 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 845

John is right that your logs MUST show AT LEAST 15 min on-duty not driving to match the time on your fuel receipts and MOST auditors will accept that. However, you may find auditors that will question if a driver can really fuel in less than 30 minutes so a half hour is an even safer company requirement. Remember the FMCSA regs put the burden of proof on the carrier that the driver could perform the way he logged it.

It all depends on how safe you want to be and how much complaining you are willing to put up with from your drivers.

I've been both the company driver and the safety director ( I now have my own authority and one truck so now I am EVERY position you can imagine.) and I've been on both sides of the arguement. I have documented arrival and departure times and submitted them attached to my logs to explain apparent speeding/over hours problems and IF the safety people bothered to dispute it with the auditor they always came out okay, but most people don't think it is worth fighting an auditor and chose to err on the safe side. As I spend more time as a carrier I'm tending more towards that attitude myself, but it is hard because I'm by nature rebellious.

Good Luck in your new career and welcome to the Truckershelper family!

Don Jones

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-->