> Excel Spreadsheets
ldyhwkann
post Aug 23 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 286

Hello Everyone,

I have developed an Excel Spreasheet that might help others to clarify their mileages, days out, weekly statement reconciliations so that it is easier to not only keep a paper track of each weeks work, but easier to input all the data required for TH.

This spreadsheet helps my husband, who is the driver, with his weekly mileages including origon, and destinations, pro numbers and mileages per state.

It also helps me to input these mileages, and another sheet helps me to reconcile his paychecks to this. It is very simple to use, very straight forward, and I don't mind sharing what I have developed with anyone.

After all, anything to make a drivers life and the person who inputs their data easier, why not?

Just email me if you would like a free copy. Instructions are included.

Have a great day everyone and drive safe.

--------------------
SAFE TRUCKING ALL
Ann Forney
Mulberry, IN
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Aug 23 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Just out of curiosity - have you looked at the Trip Sheet we have available to download? It's designed for the driver to use and then turn in to you and has all the info you need to put his trips in the program.

You'll find it on our DOWNLOADS page - right side under Other Helpful Files.

And I'm with you - anything that helps make life easier for the drivers out there is worth having and sharing.

Thanks for the offer.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper
Don't forget to get the latest Online Update

+Quote Post
ldyhwkann
post Aug 23 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I looked at your trip report sheet. Mine is different as to, there are alot of things on yours that are not on mine. Yours would work good for an o/o but not for a company driver. As it is, many companies out there have the same entries on their paperwork as on yours. Therefore, drivers are writing down the data twice such as expenses and such.

What I have developed is simplier to use. I will reply to your email message and send you what i have developed.

Let me know what you think

--------------------
SAFE TRUCKING ALL
Ann Forney
Mulberry, IN

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Aug 23 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #4

Actually mine is desiged to go with the program and will work for anyone who wants to have a sheet to use out on the road and then put the data into the computer later. Your spreadsheet will do much of the same stuff the program does - which is easier, hard to say. I guess it depends on who you ask. When we first started trucking I did up an automated spread sheet so Sheila just had to fill in the blanks - but even that gave us problems when we started trying to track other things with it. That's why I wrote the program in the first place, because there were limitations on what I could do with the spread sheet.

If this is working for you and giving you what you need then I'm all for it. As I've said before - whatever works and if you get 10 people together you'll find 10 different things that work. Each of them will have developed their own way of doing things - and what we've tried to do with the program is make it flexible enought to allow them all to do it different ways while still all coming out the other end with the information they need smile.gif

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper

+Quote Post
ldyhwkann
post Aug 24 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

John,

You did write a wonderful program and it is greatly needed throughout the trucking industry. Especially for those who do not have an accounting background.

All I am doing with these spreadsheets, is to give others the option of using what I have developed in concordance with your program.

I have a knack for developing forms using word and excel, especailly excel. If you or anyone else has a particular need, let me know. I will be glad to develop one especially for you or them. I can no longer work nor drive due to physical problems, so here I sit at home and work on the computer. I thought I might as well use my experience and knowledge for a good purpose.

My background is: Business Management and Accounting Associates Degrees, 25 years in Business and 6 years in the Trucking Industry. While I was within the Business Industry, I was classified as an efficiency expert. I helped businesses to streamline workloads and papertrails within offices.

I would like to offer my services to you and others, free of charge within the trucking community. For anyone interested in my services, my email address is:ldyhwkann at yahoo dot com

I do not have the expertese to develop a program like you, John----but I can help with the supporting documentation and/or suggestions on filing, storing, supportive paperwork, and reconciliations that won't make your accountant scream at you when you get your taxes done.

If anyone would like to contact me, please do and happy trucking biggrin.gif

--------------------
SAFE TRUCKING ALL
Ann Forney
Mulberry, IN

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Aug 24 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the offer and I'm sure there's some users out there who could profit from your help.

I'll let you know when we're ready for some beta testers in the new version and you can give it a workout.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper

+Quote Post
ldyhwkann
post Aug 25 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

No problem. I look forward to the beta testing. Thanks for thinking of me. biggrin.gif

--------------------
SAFE TRUCKING ALL
Ann Forney
Mulberry, IN

+Quote Post
sssstace
post Mar 11 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2349

Thank you for the help. We currently have a business doing our prorations and are trying to save some money. Thought it'd be somthing i would be able to do. They won't give me any info whatsoever so im totally clueless!!! Thank you for the help!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Don Jones
post Mar 12 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 845

sssstace,

I hear you on the "vendors" who don't realize that you, the customer are the boss -- not them. That is why I started using Truckers Helper in 1998 or 1999 -- I don't really remember which -- because it let me take control of my business.

The program already has the ability to give you every thing you need to do your own pro rate. It is called IRP under REPORTS>MILEAGE>IRP. It is basically as simple as printing the report for All Trucks (option 0) and transferring the information to the renewal form the state sends you. The state figured the fees anyway so you don't have to get into that mess.

A note here -- most states will try to tell you that you have to use some formula of estimation of miles in the states that you are pro rated in but did not run in during the base year. That is BS. I just put "0" and A for actual mile sin and let them fuss. Eventually they come around, because the IRP master manual and agreement that they all sign says you only use estimated miles if you don't have a base year to base the miles on.

All of this assumes that you are using the mileage tracking and fuel tax features of the program. If not, then you will need to start doing that too.

I used the program for IRP and IFTA both, got audited the second year that we were in business and used the program for the audit and have never been bothered again.
I gave the auditor the detailed mileage information from the print grid option so that it had beginning and ending mileages for every time the truck moved and my fuel purchase detail for fuel purchases. The auditor started demanding other things and I just politely refused to give them to him and told him the grid was my detailed records NOT A COMPUTER SUMMARY and that if he had any questions about my fuel receipts, he could pick a random period of time to verify them against my fuel purchase detail report. I also refused to allow him into my office. At the ?exit interview? he said that my audit was one of the easiest ones he had ever conducted once he started doing it instead of demanding things he did not need and that I swore I did no have.

If you need help with either of these issues, just ask and someone will be glad to offer advice. Ldyhwkann is very knowledgeable and helpful and I?ll be glad to help as much as I can. Between us and TH support (usually John), especially John we should be able to get you through most any thing.

Don Jones

+Quote Post
valleytransforme...
post Dec 28 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3642

Our company is new to the trucking business and I was wondering if you still had your spreadsheet available? I would be very interested in what you've created since I really have no idea how to move forward with the reporting. Any assistance you could lend would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Kim @ Valley Transformer, Inc.

+Quote Post
Don Jones
post Jan 8 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 845

To everyone reading through these forums,

Please remember in your efforts to reinvent the wheel, or in this case to reinvent Truckers Helper, you do NOT have to use every feature of every form or fill in every blank.

As a single member LLC, I had NO need for payroll and with only one broker who paid me upon receipt of the paperwork, no need for accounts receivable and TH worked just fine without them. Likewise, because I ran routes other than what the routing programs recommended, I used manual mileage input instead of the export/input mileage feature that John added into the program for those who wanted it and once again, it worked great!

Don Jones

+Quote Post
sheila515
post Jul 13 2012, 05:00 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 4665

I would love one of them spreadsheets if you dont mind greatly appreciated Thanks rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Aug 5 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #13

It appears that ldyhwkann is not following the forum any longer. I am going to lock this thread as it doesn't seem to apply any longer.

There's a free demo of Truckers Helper which you can download or, if you hurry, a free 30 day trial of Truckers Helper Online if you sign up now. We are going to be turning the free demo off shortly. Seems that it really doesn't work, kind of the 'nothing ventured nothing gained' idea I think. People sign up for the free demo and then never come back to try it. So we're going to change to a paid signup, probably offer a discount for the initial signup or something like that. If people have something invested they'll take the time to come back and give it a try and our success rate with those you actually try is pretty good.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-->