Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Axle Weights
webking185
post May 17 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4423

Hi All, This is my first post, and I'm a total newbie.

I have been in the logistics operations for 3 years, and would like to learn a little more about over the road dispatch.

I have been moving cargo that is legal weight 80,000lbs; I wondering how the weight was calculated (12#, 34#, 34#).
Recently, I heard a truck was over on the drive axle; what does that mean? And how many axles are on a truck? Is there a way I can tell? How are the axles named?

Any explanations is fully appreciated? Thanks

Henry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post May 21 2011, 02:26 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Here's a good explanation of the bridge formula - which is really the basis for weight axle restrictions and limitations.

You generally adjust the weight on each axle by sliding your 5th wheel and your trailer tandems forward or backward as required. You find out how much each axle weights by running through a truck scale at one of the truck stops that offer them. This is usually done after getting loaded and before getting too far from the shipper in case you're over weight and have to have them take something off.

If you have any other questions let me know.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper
Don't forget to get the latest Online Update

+Quote Post
Ferdnand
post May 21 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 4628

Hello, You can make this a sticky if you want.. I have been using an easy formula so you don't have to keep re weighing to get your trailer tandems right..

1. Scale your truck and trailer
2. Subtract your Drives - tandem weight= _______#
3. Take your answer and divide by 2=________#
4. Now divide this by 275 which is the weight for each hole, when you have that answer it will tell you how many holes you need to slide to be legal, and improve Fuel mileage...

Just give me credit.. for this is all I ask..

example:

Steer: 11450
Drives: 36400
Tandems: 32580

formula: 36400 - 32580= 3820
take 3820 divided by 2= 1910
1910 divided by 275(per hole)=6.945

= move 7 holes which direction you need to make legal on weights...

In this case it would be 7 holes to the front.. to equel out the weight...

When driving a Truck i always say don't drag it , PULL IT.....

Trying to save FUEL....Hope this helps you fellow truckers out there... don't have to reweigh , just to recheck to see if im right.. but you can adjust the per hole to make it work for you... or what you haul all the time.. but if you keep track of the weight of what youre hauling then you can set your trailer up and never scale and save money $$$$$$$

Hope this helps someone

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-->