Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Claiming Pov
Don Jones
post Feb 1 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 845

It wasn't an actuaql article. He copied a FMCSA guidance quote. I'll try the Google thing later, though. When I try that do I copy the guidance and past it into the advanced search box just like I was typing in something ot search for? I've never tried what you're suggesting.

Thank you for your patience.

Don Jones
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Don Jones
post Feb 1 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 845

I Googled it and if any one else needs to know, it is under 395.8, which was where I thought it would be. When I was looking for it before, for some unknown reason the FMCSA page wasn't showing all of the guidances for 395.8.

Thank you for your patience.

Don Jones

+Quote Post
DavidnSchultz
post Feb 7 2015, 02:49 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5120

What about this instance for POV miles? I recently left Kissimmee, FL with 3.25 hours left to drive. Knowing that the likelihood of finding a truckstop in FL was not good, I planned to stop at Kingsland, GA. a 3.25 hour trip north on I-95.

Because of Orlando traffic, by the time I reached St. Augustine I had only 34 mins of remaining drive time. I stopped at exit 305 (Flying J). There were no parking spots available. The lot was full! I logged off duty.

The next truckstop was at exit 329 (T.A.). Again, lot was full! No parking available. The only thing left was GA exit 1, Kingsland, GA. so that is where I went.

Now, given what you stated that "Federal HOS guideline define ON DUTY as ANY time spent doing ANYTHING that benefits the carrier", is it permissible to log these miles (82 miles) as POV since they did not benefit the carrier but benefited me? I was trying to find a safe place to park for the night.

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Feb 7 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #24

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

In order to log any miles as PERSONAL you have to be bob-tail and on a personal errand. So no you cannot log those hours as off duty or personal miles as you were on duty I'm assuming you were either under a load or on your way to get a load - in either of those cases you are traveling for the benefit of the carrier.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper
Don't forget to get the latest Online Update

+Quote Post
DavidnSchultz
post Feb 8 2015, 12:31 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 5120

So, what do you do? When hours are up and no parking is available, what is the solution so that you are not in a noncompliance situation?

+Quote Post
John Ewing
post Feb 8 2015, 11:24 AM
Post #26

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Plan better! The one way it's realistic to plan on making a 3.25 hour trip in 3.25 hours is if you're starting at 1 or 2 AM. If you're in a large city and leaving during rush hour a better plan is to find a place in town or much closer to town. Stopping earlier and then getting out earlier the next day will allow you to get into a truck stop, rest area, or other suitable place before it's full. It's up to you to plan your route/time so that you can do the driving you need to do in the time you have available.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear but it is the only suggestion I can offer. We've allowed the government to make the rules we have now, so until we get a government that is going to make rules that are more realistic and more in line with the realities of our business we're stuck with the ones we have now.

--------------------
John Ewing
The Truckers Helper
Don't forget to get the latest Online Update

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-->